This example is a discussion board plan which can be used to get feedback about a product or service.
Also view the short moderator notes at the end of this example.
About this group
Welcome to the [add your group name here] online discussion group.
My name is [your name] and I will be your Moderator for the next three days.
This is a completely anonymous group discussion so please feel free to express yourself, share your ideas and put your point of view across.
If you haven’t already done so, please grab your [name of the product], and keep it close. We will be referencing to this letter pack over the next three days.
Each day as the discussion topics are posted, please read carefully, add your comments and feel free to reply to each others comments.
From time to time you will see moderator comments and replies to participant comments, please pay attention to any moderator instructions.
Remember: there are no right or wrong answers. We are looking for open, honest and constructive comments and feedback. Please remember to respect the opinions of others at all times.
Don’t forget to get your full participation reward, you must respond to each of the posted discussion topics.
The following is a 3 day plan divided into three main sections and assumes that the participants has been mailed the product / offer being tested with a sample of the target market.
- Awareness of the product/service
- Exploration of the product/service
- Action on the offer for the product/service
Day 1: Your product arrives
In our first discussion topic we want to capture your immediate response to the [your product or service here].
To begin, please ensure you have everything listed in the package.
Please address each of these questions in your responses and comments:
Holding the [product/service name] that you received, please comment on the following:
- What is your immediate impression of the appearance of the [product/service] package and the way it is presented?
- Is the [product/service] presented in a way that makes you want to try it? why and why not?
- Open the package and take a look at the contents. Are the items contained within the package what you would expect? Please give reason why or why not.
Please note: Be as specific as possible and where relevant provide reasons why.
Day 2: Understanding the information
Thank you everyone for completing the first day’s task.
If you have not yet completed the task or added your response to all the questions can you please do so before you answer today's topic question. Please note to get you full reward you need to complete each days task.
Today, we want to look in more detail at the contents of the package:
Open out your package and place all the contents in front of you. Take 10 minutes to read the information.
- Do you understand the contents of the package? What do you think its purpose is?
- Is the information presented in a way which is appealing to you? Why or Why Not?
- Does the presentation and layout of the product correspond with the message in the information pack? Do you think the information is best presented in this format? Why or Why Not?
Please feel free to reply to others in the group and share views and opinions.
Day 3: Considering the offer
Thank you everyone for completing the second days topic.
If you have not yet answered all the questions and added a comment to the discussions can you please do so before answering today's topic. Please note to get you full reward you need to complete each days task.
Today, we are going to talk about the offer in the letter:
If you need to recap by reading the letter. Please take 10 minutes to do so now.
- Is it clear what the offer is inviting you to do?
- Does the offer motivate you to take any kind of action?
- Are the contact options listed in the letter something you would consider using? Why or Why not?
- If we had to put this offer together what do you think we could do to increase the likelihood that people will read the information, consider the offer and contact [product or service name to take up the offer?
Please be as specific as possible.
During the discussion it is important you respond to individuals who put in the time and effort to answer in each topic, while those who give short yes or no answers are prompted to give more detail. It is important that you do this from day one, to ensure that poor participation does not become an issue!
If you are active in the group as a moderator then others will also be prompted to stay active. If you have incentivised the group it is important that you continue to remind them in the topics posted each day that they must complete each discussion - as shown in the plan example above.
In general so that you do not over burden the group it is not recommended that you do NOT post more than 2 new topics a day. Ideally one well structured topic should be enough to solicit good discussion in a group.